What Will Happen To The Car Industry In The Event Of A No-Deal Brexit?

If Britain leaves the EU without a deal, there are several measures that are likely to be put in place for the car industry.

Car Industry

Image Credit

Taking a car abroad

Currently, drivers of UK-registered cars can drive anywhere within Serbia, Switzerland, the EEA (European Economic Area) and the EU; however, this is likely to change in the event of a no-deal Brexit, with drivers having to carry an issued green card.

The government has released official advice and states that this card must be carried when driving in Ireland and mainland Europe after 29 March 2019.

This green card will act as proof of car insurance and will be issued from your car insurance provider without incurring a fee. For motor trade insurance, contact a specialist such as https://www.quotemetoday.co.uk/motor-trade-insurance.

Taking a car abroad

Image Credit

A green card typically expires in 90 days and is dependent on motor insurance; therefore, if your renewal is due while you are abroad, a card must cover each period. The card applies to the vehicle, rather than the driver.

It could take up to one month to receive your green card, so it is essential that you apply for one well in advance of your journey.

Driving abroad with a UK licence

If Britain leaves the EU with no deal, recognition of British driving licences within EU countries ends. This means that you will have to visit a Post Office to get an IDP (International Driving Permit), which must be carried with you alongside your British driving licence.

In addition, there are international rules in place; for example, you must be in possession of two separate IDPs if you drive through Spain and France. This is due to the IDP convention of 1949, which covers Ireland, Cyprus, Malta and Spain, while the IDP convention of 1968 covers Switzerland, Norway and the other EU countries. You must specify which country you will be driving in or through when you visit the Post Office

The permit must be applied for in person rather than online and the process requires a passport-size photo, your passport and your current driving licence.

The issue becomes more complex when taking into account that permits bought for driving in Portugal last for three years but must be renewed each year for Spain.