The state of Georgia has impressive workers compensation systems in place to protect the interests of the lowly paid and high risk workers. These are generally from the construction, farm, transportation and manufacturing industries.
A closer look at compensation evaluation
The system affords to provide workers with the freedom to receive compensation without the added stress of proving that the accident was the employer’s fault. This is very effective in securing a host of benefits to the laborer who is often less educated and less aware of his rights. If the worker is a bona fide worker on the pay roll of the employer, he is entitled to a wide range of benefits, and also additional relief from the Social security disability insurance, also known as SSDI. The range of benefits is inclusive of medical benefits, compensation for loss of income, and vocational rehabilitation services.
The benefits awarded to injured workers are multi faceted
- A worker can demand full medical compensation along with medical related travel. He is eligible if the treatment has been completed at an approved medical center. The benefits are payable weekly for a maximum of 400 weeks. The exception happens when there is extensive brain injury, severe burns, loss of a limb or paralysis.
- If the workers compensation is demanded for a total disability scenario, it must be supported by a medical practitioner’s advice; the limit is restricted to 2/3 of average weekly wage with a cap of $575 weekly. The loss of limb or sight can entitle the worker to an amount set by the court.
- Partial disability compensation is commiserated with the loss of pay due to the injury. The worker might be assigned a lower paying work by the doctor. The limit is capped at 2/3 of the disparity in income or as per the doctor’s recommendation.
- In the unfortunate event of death $7500 is compensated against cost of burial and weekly wage benefit to legal heirs, this is to be capped at 2/3 of the deceased workers’ wages. The time frame is limited to 400 weeks.
- In the instance of the worker not being fit to go back to the previous job due to catastrophic injuries, there is a provision to train him or her in a new field. This will help in getting a new job in any new area of expertise in which he is confident of making the right contribution. This situation entitles the workers compensation system to award rehabilitation benefits. The employer has the discretion to award this compensation to workers suffering from non-catastrophic injuries also.
All in all, the system is well defined and viable. Additional damages may be claimed through legal measures if there is an instance of negligence by the employer. The workers are free to sue their employer if personal damages are incurred due to the injury sustained. If you are looking for further information, then get in touch with the right authorities or websites with ample data about worker’s compensation.